Route that runs, just a few hours from the coast to the mountains, crossing an impressive canyon. We will enjoy the customs and traditions of the Andean people here. We will see beautiful lagoons, valleys full of a variety of flora and fauna and one of the most beautiful snowy mountains in the world “Alpamayo”.
We recommend 2 to 3 days of acclimatization. ¡This will allow you to fully Discover and Enjoy this beautiful walk!
The direction of the itinerary can be reversed according to the availability of the mountain assistants.
On this route we have options for fewer or more days of walking, please consult.
We leave for the north of Huaraz and enter the Callejon de Huaylas, along its picturesque countryside and along its paved roads. In a journey of about an hour and a half we will enter one of the most beautiful roads in the world, “Cañon del Pato”. It was formed by the Rio Santa by breaking the chain that linked the Black and White Cordilera, giving rise to the impressive and wonderful Cañon del Pato, where the road and its more than 30 tunnels pass, thanks to highly qualified engineering work. In some parts the canyon is less than 12 meters wide and more than 60 meters high, where one of the first hydroelectric plants in Peru was installed. After crossing this impressive canyon, we continue our trip, this time around the last snowcapped mountains of the Cordillera Blanca, Champara 5850m and San Julian 5326m. After arriving at Chuquicara and freshening up we will walk towards the Chuquicara Pass. After enjoying the view that this pass offers, we will descend towards our first camp called Veronica, located in the upper part of the lagoon of the same name.
Walking time: 6 to 7 hours approximately.
Approximate difference in altitude: 1,100 m and 300 m. down.
After spending a nice night in front of the Apus, we will start walking on a very narrow path surrounded by a variety of flora and fauna. After a few hours, we will arrive at the Millua Pass to enjoy the incomparable panorama that this pass presents. After taking many photos and having regained strength we will gradually descend towards the valley passing through the majestic and energetic constructions of platforms and small citadels of our ancestors. After a delicious lunch next to the Alpamayo river we will continue our walk towards the foot of the majestic Alpamayo Snow-Capped Mountain and to our next camp called Jancarurihs.
Walking time: 6 to 7 hours approximately.
Approximate difference in altitude: 300 m and 400 m. down.
We have spent the night in one of the wonderful campsites, next to the river, surrounded by mountains and at the foot of the majestic Alpamayo Mountain. After an Andean breakfast, we will begin to climb slowly towards the Jancarurish Lagoon, to the base camp of the snowy Santa Cruz and to the viewpoint.
This viewpoint is a place that allows you to view, enjoy and take a photo of the pyramidal face of the snowy Alpamayo, winner of the title “the most beautiful mountain in the world”.
After taking many photos of Alpamayo, the valley, the lagoon and the snow-capped mountains we will go down the same road to our next camp.
Walking time: 4 to 5 hours approximately.
Approximate difference in altitude: 400 m. climb and 550 m. down.
After a rest and full of positive energy from Alpamayo and the gods of the mountain, we will start with the ascent on a well-preserved and difficult path. We are going to cross two high passes. It will be a tough but spectacular day with impressive views of the snowy Santa Cruz, passes and deep valleys inhabited by the Andean Bear. After resting and having lunch next to one of the most beautiful and spectacular lagoons of the Cordillera Blanca “Cullicocha”, we will continue our walk to our last camp.
Walking time: 8 to 9 hours approximately.
Approximate difference in altitude: 750 m. rise and 600 m. down.
“As everything beautiful in life ends, our Adventure is also ending”
After spending the night and part of the day like the birds of the Andes, we start going down and down to the town of Hualcayan where we will rejoin modernity and where our driver will be waiting ready to move us to Huaraz. After a long hot shower, we will meet once again to share photos, our experiences and to celebrate our expedition with the typical drink of Peru “Pisco Sour”.
Walking time: 5 to 6 hours approximately.
Approximate difference in altitude: 1,100 m. down.
Our programs included:
- Transfer from the bus terminal to your hotel.
- Acclimatization hike. (optional)
- Trekking guide.
- Donkeys and muleteer.
- Complete feeding:
Breakfast, Scrambled eggs, quinoa, pancakes, cheese omelet etc. Bread, tea, coffee, milk or mate are always offered,
Snack, Fresh fruit, biscuits, chocolate and, candies.
Lunch, Pickled chicken, avocado salad, Russian salad, causa and coca tea.
Tea, Hot chocolate, canchitas, fried sweet potato, avocado with vegetables etc.
Dinner, Starters: creamed tomato soup, beans, quinoa, etc. Main course: fried trout, orange chicken, lomo saltado, etc. “HOT WINE ” for the last dinner.
- Camp Equipment: Kitchen tent, dining tent, 3-season sleeping tent (03 passenger tent for 02 Eureka brand customers, Sierra design and others), bathroom tent, 02 mattresses per person, table, chairs, kitchen, gas and all kitchen utensils.
- Warm water in the morning to wash.
Our program does not include:
- Entrance fees to tourist sites.
- Sleeping bags.
- Breakfast the first day and dinner the last night.
- Personal insurance.
- Personal first aid kit.
- Copy of passport or original.
- Sleeping bag. (If you do not have one, we have a savannah included for rent for $ 6.00)
- Sunscreen and lip balm.
- Water bottle (01 bottle of 02 liters or 02 bottles of 1 liter each).
- One-liter water purifier (Micropur or other). Please bring from your country because in Huaraz they are not to be found.
- Insect repellent.
- Walking sticks (if you did not bring one, we have for rent, 10 soles per day, per pair)
- Flashlight: front or handheld plus extra battery.
- The entrance to the park, per person: S /. soles per person Huascarán National Park in the Cordillera Blanca. S /. soles for the complete 10-day circuit in HUAYHUASH.
- Personal clothing: Waterproof jacket and pants, Wool sweater and pants, Gloves, wool hat, Warm socks
- Small towel, soap, toothpaste, brush and others.
- Down and fleece jacket.
- Toilet paper,
- Hat / cap for the cold.
- Waterproof hiking shoes.
- Large suitcase to share (to be transported by donkeys, if You do not have one, do not worry we will provide one for you).
- Personal backpack.
- Personal kit, on each expedition we will carry one, but we suggest you bring a personal medical kit, with, Medications, prescribed by your doctor, and knee pads, For blisters, bandages and other medicines for general discomfort.